Researchers from the Faculty of Science are changing the world. Whether it's working to provide life-changing nutrition to a billion people, cooling our cities with green roofs, making any surface a solar panel, or saving lives at birth, it's all Made Possible by Melbourne.
- Research Themes
Our research is driven by respected research leaders, with 11 themes across eight core research disciplines.Explore
Our Schools and institutes are the engine rooms of our research.Learn more
- Facilities and research centres
Our state-of-the-art facilities and cutting-edge research centres create the critical mass required for the discovery and development of solutions designed to address society's major issues.Learn more
Video: Science (Research) at Melbourne
Video: Canola Research - Blackleg Fungus
Enrich Your Studies
Enhance your university experience by learning more about academic skills, internship subjects, research project subjects, student societies and clubs, studying abroad and exchange, and volunteering and leadership.
Awards, Prizes & Scholarships
The Faculty of Science awards program recognises teachers and researchers, as well as students at undergraduate and graduate level.
Many of the Faculty's awards are supported by trust funds established through the foresight of generous benefactors. Others are provided annually by industry partners and supporters through donations and sponsorships.
Careers in Science
As a Bachelor of Science student you may wonder what career pathways are open to you once you have graduated, and if you need to continue with honours or postgraduate study.
Meet our Students
Meet our Science Ambassadors, and read about our diverse Undergrads, Postgrads and Alumni.
With teaching and research expertise based on over 150 years of pioneering scientific discovery, our degrees are designed to empower students to apply scientific thinking and analysis to issues that impact on the world today and are the challenges of tomorrow. Our entry standards are among the highest in Australia, creating a study environment that nurtures the best from our students.
Spanning the sciences, health sciences, technology and engineering, the Bachelor of Science can be tailored to suit individual strengths and career goals, enabling you to explore a range of interests before refining your choices later in the degree.VIEW
- Certificates & Diplomas
Our Certificates and Diplomas develop and enhance your abilities in oral and written communication, critical thinking, numeracy and problem solving. Some courses offer research experience and experience with laboratory techniques.VIEW
- Graduate Coursework
Our Master of Science degrees offer advanced research training, specialised coursework studies and professional skills development; while our professional masters degrees offer training that is focused on skills relevant to industry, business & government.VIEW
- Graduate Research & PhD
With over 400 researchers and 500 graduate research students, we are at the forefront of investigator research in Australia and around the world. Our programs allow a student to study a specific subject area in great detail.VIEW
- Science students and alumni selected for Startup AcceleratorNews
- Photo Gallery
See what's been happening in the Faculty of ScienceView
- Congratulations to new Fellows of the Australian Academy of ScienceNews
- Professor Frances Separovic honoured with UNSW Alumni Award News
- How rising global temperatures are affecting the Great Barrier ReefScience Matters on Pursuit
- Why a shark cull could devastate ocean ecosystemsScience Matters on Pursuit
- Human-altered environments 'trick' animalsScience Matters on Pursuit
- School of Geography officially on the map News
- Sweet potato harvest a success for FoodShare and BurnleyNews
- Discovering the deadly diversity of Malaria Science Matters on Pursuit
- Transplanting farming knowledge from Africa to AustraliaScience Matters on Pursuit
- Plants have feelings and they know how to use themScience Matters on Pursuit
- Funding success for new research into medical cannabisNews
- Student success at 2017 Melbourne International Flower Garden ShowNews
- How staying close to mum pays off for kangaroosScience Matters on Pursuit
- Alien life as we know itScience Matters on Pursuit
- Managing bishfires for safety and biodiversityScience Matters on Pursuit
- The physics that stops a bullet also makes your car more fuel efficientScience Matters on Pursuit
- Lizards keep it local when it comes to colour changeScience Matters on Pursuit
- You snooze you lose in Victoria's electricity marketScience Matters on Pursuit
- Professor Frances Separovic honoured as a IUPAC 2017 Distinguished Women in ChemistryBio21 News
- Supergrain quinoa could help feed the world's hungryScience Matters on Pursuit
- Supermassive black hole acts as 'maternity ward' for new starsScience Matters on Pursuit
- Hidden Figures and the case for equality in scienceScience Matters on Pursuit
For over 100 years, our Faculty of Science has been recognised internationally for our role in expanding the frontiers of knowledge for the betterment of society. Guided by the University of Melbourne's strategy of Growing Esteem, our community of staff and students continue to contribute strongly in each of the three important elements of a world-class university:
Research – our researchers operate at the highest levels internationally across a breadth of disciplines, contributing to the store of human knowledge, finding applications that benefit society and informing teaching programs which position our students for the international market place.
Learning and Teaching – attracting the best and brightest from around Australia and internationally, Science at Melbourne offers a broad range of disciplines to prepare scientists and professionals for the challenges of tomorrow.
Engagement – by engaging with industry, schools and our community locally and around the world, our staff, students and alumni are able to define, analyse and help solve complex issues in science and business.
We are proud of who we are and our achievements.
Dean, Faculty of Science
Read more about the Faculty of Science, Associate Deans and Faculty leadership team.
The Faculty of Science values strong relationships with our alumni, industry, government, donors and the wider community.
We actively engage the wider community through events, social media, public lectures and schools programs. We are committed to bringing science to the community and creating excitement about scientific research and discovery.
We invite all friends and supporters of the Faculty of Science to engage with us and help us to continue being Australia's leading scientific teaching and research hub.
Stay connected with a community of over 49,000 Science Alumni. Being a valued member of our community does not stop at graduation. Alumni contribute to the vibrancy of university life and the student experience.
- Giving to Science
We sincerely thank alumni and friends who have supported us. Your support enables us to fund scholarships for students and opportunities for our researchers.
- Science in Schools
Providing high quality communications to secondary school audiences about courses, careers and graduate outcomes, professional development for science teachers, and activities and programs for future students, parents and careers practitioners.
There are many ways in which an organisation can collaborate with Science at Melbourne. Contract research and collaborative research are just a few of the ways…
- Global Opportunities
The Faculty of Science aims to make a genuine contribution to the discovery of new knowledge and technologies through collaborative partnerships with local and international academic, industry and government partners