Environmental Science helps to solve global issues such as climate change and pollution. Environmental Science is a multidisciplinary field that integrates physical, biological and information sciences (including but not limited to atmospheric science, botany, chemistry, geography, geology, physics and zoology) to the study of the environment, and the solution of environmental problems.
Points to consider when looking at potential careers in the Environmental Sciences include:
- Look at a number of discipline areas, due to the multi-disciplinary nature of the science;
- Many scientific and technological roles offer further specialised training on the job;
- Graduate entry programs offer on the job training;
- Many jobs, especially at entry level, are looking for generic skills that have been developed during your degree, rather than particular scientific knowledge;
- Further study and qualifications may be necessary to progress your career, depending on the particular field.
Jobs in Environmental Science
Ecologists work for conservation organisations, not-for-profit and non-governmental organisations and in the public and private sectors. Ecologists study the relationship between plants, animals and their environment.
Environmental Scientist/Engineer in Land Remediation
Environmental scientists/Engineers in Land Remediation provide expert advice and assessment services to industry and government relating to the management and remediation of contaminated sites.
Natural Resource Manager
Natural resource managers develop conservation plans for nature reserves, land and other natural resources, so that people can use these resources in an ecologically sustainable way.
Environmental scientists study, develop, implement and advise on policies and plans for managing and protecting the environment, flora, fauna and other natural resources.
Environmental consultants provide industry and government with expert advice and assessment services relating to the management of environmental issues. They evaluate current environmental policy, management practices and conduct detailed audits of clients operations.