The First Five
In the last edition of Under the Microscope, we gave you a check list of all the things we wish we had known when we started at the University of Melbourne. In this edition, we want to share an amazing resource our friends at Academic Services have created.
First Five is your week-by-week guide to your first five weeks at University.
To make it easier, we have summarised the first week below. Visit First Five each week to make your transition to life in the Bachelor of Science a smooth, exciting experience.
- Semester 1 commences on Monday 26 February 2018
- Concurrent Diploma Semester 1 applications close Sunday 4 March 2018
Must do list
- Attend classes: Know your timetable and attend classes. Remember, if one class finishes at the same time as your next class starts there are 10 minutes allowed for travel between classes.
- Choose your subjects: Now is the time to decide if you’re happy with your subjects for the semester, or if you need to make a change. Course planning support is available if you need advice on choosing the right subjects for you.
- Do your subject readings: Check your reading requirements on LMS. Some classes require pre-reading prior to the first class. To search for textbooks and readings, check Readings Online through LMS or search for it online using the Library search engine Discovery.
- Get that WiFi: Connect to Campus WiFi, it’s unlimited and free!
Good to know
- Download the Lost on Campus app: It will help you find your classrooms and lecture theatres!
- Familiarise yourself with University terms.
- Get to know the library: Check out the library guide to find out all you need to know about borrowing, collections, research skills and more. Find out how Student IT can help: Student IT can assist you with trouble shooting my.unimelb, setting up UniWireless and a wide variety of other IT matters. Speak with Student IT online or drop in to a service point at the Baillieu Library, Giblin Eunson Library or Eastern Resource Centre (Level 3).
- Visit First Five for further expert tips and tricks.