At the Melbourne Centre for Data Science, we are forging a vibrant, research rich and engaging interdisciplinary environment to lead advances in data science for the benefit of society.
Data touches every aspect of our daily lives and holds potential for big change, positive or negative. Our goal is to promote and engage in fundamental and interdisciplinary research, teaching and leadership in Data Science.
Melbourne Centre for Data Science is built out of a joint collaboration between Statistics and Computer Science with priorities to:
- Connect the data rich ecosystem at the University to enhance distinguished research
- Enable vital fundamental research and deeper exploration into methodological foundations of data science
- Collaborate across academia, the private and public sectors, research centres, centres of excellence and research groups to drive innovation
- Assemble interdisciplinary teams of data science experts and domain experts to tackle long-term and/or large-scale projects
- Employ data science methods to aid circular discovery and further learned enquiry
- Inject data science expertise into real-world problems to provide cutting edge solutions
- Fortify research and educational training in data science for students, postdocs, academics and professionals
- Progress research outcomes, translation and impact by unblocking impediments by addressing methodological constraints
- Advise on, promote and observe strong data governance policies and practices.