DECRA funding awarded to MCDS Investigator
Congratulations to MCDS Investigator Dr Mingming Gong for securing funding in the Discovery Early Career Researcher Award 2021 round 1.
The Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) scheme provides focused research support for early career researchers in both teaching and research, and research-only positions.
The objectives of the DECRA scheme are to:
- support excellent basic and applied research by early career researchers
- support national and international research collaboration
- enhance the scale and focus of research in Australian Government priority areas
- advance promising early career researchers and promote enhanced opportunities for diverse career pathways
- enable research and research training in high quality and supportive environments
Dr Mingming Gong's research project is entitled "Causal Discovery from Unstructured Data". This project aims to enable machines to discover causal relations from various kinds of unstructured data, such as images, text files, and sensor data. The project expects to promote causal revolution of data-centric intelligence and science – construct machines that can communicate in the language of cause and effect and answer ‘why’ questions by inferring from unstructured data. Expected outcomes of this project include theoretical foundations for causal discovery from unstructured data and practical algorithms that drive intelligent machines to make rational decisions in real-world scenarios. This should benefit society and the economy nationally and internationally through the applications of artificial intelligence and data science.
Congratulations to Dr Mingming Gong and to all of our University of Melbourne colleagues. The full list of receipients and projects can be found here.