You will take this subject in your first semester to learn more about the amazing research happening right now at the University and gain a deeper understanding of the University’s academic and social expectations of all our students.
Starting in 2022, all commencing Bachelor of Science students will be enrolled in our new subject – Today’s Science, Tomorrow’s World (SCIE10005). This innovative subject will introduce you to the cutting-edge research happening right now at the University of Melbourne, which is changing the way we think about, and respond to, the critical challenges facing our planet, climate change and environmental sustainability.
The Science Discovery subject Today’s Science, Tomorrow’s World, will provide opportunities for you to:
- Understand the science of climate change
- Explore environmental sustainability from cultural and ethical perspectives
- Investigate how research at the University of Melbourne contributes to our understanding of climate change and environmental sustainability
- Learn about the innovative solutions and mitigation strategies under development at the University of Melbourne
- Engage with your peers to develop your understanding of how modern science is conducted ethically and with cultural awareness
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Today’s Science, Tomorrow’s World composed of?
Today’s Science, Tomorrow’s World consists of 5 weeks of core material (which all students will undertake) and 2 Investigations which students will choose from a variety of options.
What is an Investigation?
An Investigation is a short (3 week) topic of study that focuses on a particular aspect of climate change or environmental sustainability.
Can I do both Investigations at the same time?
No, the Investigations run sequentially and address different learning outcomes.
I commenced the Bachelor of Science in midyear 2021, do I have to do Today’s Science, Tomorrow’s World in semester 1 2022?
No, the subject is intended for students in their first-semester of study. The subject commences in 2022.
I will be studying offshore in semester 1. Are there are any specific arrangements for me?
In 2022 Today’s Science, Tomorrow’s World will run as a dual-delivery subject. That means that offshore students will have access to equivalent learning opportunities to onshore students.