Get involved and go beyond the classroom. Student clubs and societies will help you develop both socially and intellectually.
Joining a club or society is a great way to make new friends and explore your interests. Student societies run social events, activities, career networking, tutorials and many other programs.
Science Students’ Society
The Science Students’ Society (SSS) is a non-profit organisation run by a committee of current students. The Society aims to allow students to meet new people, make friends and get the most out of their time at university.
I’ve really enjoyed the friendly and welcoming social atmosphere and the wide variety of extra-curricular activities offered, such as student-run clubs which cater for a huge range of interests. Harriet (majoring in Zoology with a concurrent Diploma in Languages).
University of Melbourne Student Union (UMSU)
The University of Melbourne Student Union (UMSU) automatically gives you access to all Student Union services, including:
- Art, culture and fun activities
- A free weekly BBQ and a gig on Tuesdays across the semester
- Support services to help you when you need it
- Representation on the issues that affect you.
Melbourne University Sport
Melbourne University Sport is the place for students, staff and the University community to get active, stay fit, and play sport in a variety of fun, convenient and social programs. They have something for everyone and every level, and offer excellent benefits to students.
Science-related clubs and societies
Here is a selection of science-related clubs you might want to consider:
- Aerospace and Robotics Society
- Agriculture and Food Science Society
- Astronomical Society
- Australian Youth Climate Coalition
- Big Data Analysis Club
- Biomedical Engineering Society
- Chemical Engineering Students Society
- Civil & Structural Society
- Competitive Programming Club
- Computing and Information Systems Students Association (CISSA)
- Earth Sciences Postgraduate Group
- Earth Sciences Students Society
- Electrical Engineering Club
- Engineering Students’ Club (MUESC)
- Environmental Engineers’ Society
- Financial Engineering Club
- Geographical Society
- Mathematics & Statistics Society (MUMS)
- Mechanical Engineering Student Society
- Mechatronics Society (MechX)
- Melbourne Biotechnology Club
- MUR Motorsports
- Optometry Student Society
- Physics Students Society
- Postgraduate Environment Network
- Postgraduate Physics Students’ Society
- Psychology Association
- Women in ICT
- Women in Science and Engineering (WISE)